SDI/ SCK/ SDO connections on an electronic toy - bendable?

Hello

I took a modern electronic toy (lumie) apart for bending. It isn’t very promising all I can really do so far is restrt the speach for a glitch and make the LEDs stutter.

It has unused SDI/ SCK / SDO connection points on the board. Can I send a clock signal from an arduino maybe and slow it down? Anything else I might be able to try? I don’t know much about I2C at all.

chris

I don’t know much about i2c either, but I would try connecting it up to an Arduino and find an i2c sniffer script to see the messages being sent back and forth.

You’ll need to connect the VCC and ground pins together - does the toy run on 5v? If so, you’ll be ok. If not, it’ll be a lot more difficult (don’t ask me, I’m absolutely no expert with arduinos :wink: ).

The pinout seems a bit odd; i2c normally has 2 pins - data in/out (SDA)and clock(SCK) . Your toy seems to have data in, data out, and clock. I would try connecting SDO to SDA on the Arduino and both the SCKs together.

Another possibility is that it is another protocol, SPI maybe? I’m not sure.

I hope that helps, if not, I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me will answer :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I think it is actually SPI, I found the datasheet. I like the idea of intercepting the messages :slight_smile: I’ll see what I can figure out

Yeah, now I think of it, Spi has MISO, MOSI, and clock. Glad it helped :smiley:

2 Likes

The terms SDI and SDO are sometimes used in SPI as alternatives to MISO and MOSI. I just learned this.

https://www.sparkfun.com/spi_signal_names

3 Likes

This is really helpful, I was confused by the range of terminology. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like