Patch Discussion Thread

Unless i missed it, I didnt see a thread discussing and requesting patches.

On the discord, Pen Pen asked about the Youth8500 lead patch, so i thought i would cross post here since not everyone may like discord, but may still be interested. :slight_smile:

YOUTH8500 LEAD patch:
This is just my interpretation of this patch, and i think its pretty close.

So, what you got with youth8500 is a vibra lead. Since Sam uses a korg ms10 for his leads from what i gather, its actually simple pimple. He just did a video about the ms10 today actually: The KORG MS10 IS THE BEST SYNTH.. better than the MS20 (in my opinion :O.). - YouTube

Heres the recipe:

1. Single osc saw tuned to a high octave for the lead range
  2. Filter set to 40% resonance and cutoff (Sam uses a lot of resonance). 12DB filter sounds best to me. Depending on your filter, you might need to bump the resonance to 60%.
  3. Amp envelope with 0% attack, 65% decay, 40% sustain, and 49% release. This gives the patch the plonky, but still has enough sustain that the sound continues a good bit after. You hear this sustain between the 8th and 9th bars when it tails. This also makes it sorta sound like its one note being played.
  4. Filter cutoff envelope with 0% attack, 45% decay, 40% sustain, and 50% release. When you set the filter envelope decay shorter than the amp decay, you end up hearing the filter sweep shape the sound instead of just hearing the amp turn down the volume. This is key to a lot of sounds.
  5. Make sure whatever synth you are using isnt stacking voices, and is in a mono or legato mode. This means only one note at a time.
  6. Turn on Vibrato, or use an LFO to modulate the pitch of the osc. Don’t go overboard, but have the LFO wobble the pitch of that osc a bit.
  7. Turn on Glide (may also be labeled portmanteau). This will transpose the note from one you pressed to the next one over a time interval. You want the glide time to be pretty quick, but its a to taste sorta setting.
  8. Throw some reverb on it to taste.

Here is the patch in DIVA:

Here is the patch in Synth1:

Here is the sound dry, without reverb:

Here it is with some reverb:

Here it is with the song in context:

Here is the same context but with the patch recreated in Synth1:

Extra consideration for VSTs that may not have the fancy analog modelling like Synth1. Just have another slow LFO modulate the pitch. It acts like a little bit of analog detune. Not the same obviously, but it goes pretty far.

9 Likes

Is DIVA savable on ableton as a vst?

Diva is savable, but it is not a free vst. You can get similar results from most any subtractive synth though. For free vst I would look at synth1.
https://daichilab.sakura.ne.jp/softsynth/index.html

2 Likes

MinimogueVA is nice.

3 Likes

I think i should update the post with % on the envelopes. I feel that would be a more unified standard. Ill also add the synth1 version for free vst users. Synth1 is not only a good vst with features and sound, but I personally think its the best vst in general to learn subtractive synthesis on free or otherwise.
-edit-
I edited the original post with standardized percent for the envelopes, and Synth1 goodness.

3 Likes

+1 on Synth1 :+1:……………….

1 Like