Midimuso MDCO-3

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had used (or knew of examples of others using…) the Midimuso MDCO-3?

I’m considering using a couple in a poly/paraphonic build and just looking for examples. It looks pretty simple to get going with…

2 Likes

It’s V/Hz (eg: Korg, PAiA, Yamaha) not V/Oct. You’d need a logarithmic (reverse exponential) component to translate to Moog/Eurorack/Kosmo frequency encoding. While this isn’t a game-stopper, I’m of the opinion that somebody capable of designing and building such a component wouldn’t need the MDCO-3 chip. This chip might be great for a MIDI retrofit on an old Korg MS-10/20. Other suggestions on the website include non-musical applications such as optimizing a battery charging cycle.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I’d misunderstood, does the chip not provide a trigger and square wave voice straight from midi? I’d assumed I could just ignore the V/Hz control and use it to get a square wave voice from midi with a very low parts count.

I was going to follow with individual envelopes and vcas per voice, and one filter after mixing, in a non-modular format.

2 Likes

You’re right. I’m the one who misread the spec. You can use this chip to convert a MIDI note signal to a square wave corresponding to the concert pitch (with a detuning option) of the input. You can configure it to process two simultaneous notes, or daisy-chain chips to process more notes at a time. It seems to be very handy.

2 Likes

Hi, I used one of these to create a simple dual mono MIDI to square wave oscillator, also with MIDI-thru. Pretty easy build, very nice analog sounding square wave as output. The great advantage over a standard VCO is that it plays perfectly in tune. The guy who sells it on the UK was helpful with questions too

2 Likes