Looking to build my first VCO

yeah 1949$ is beyond my price range. But looking at the systems on an ARP and going to Bergmans website like a shopping list is a wise idea. Since I’m not looking to emulate anything specifically, but more or less basing this upon functionality.

I guess what I am seeking is something that can only be DIY because I want something that has unique sounds. The very nature of analogue synths means that they are imperfect. It is that character with warts and all that is desirable from an aspect of sound.

If I could just lob down that much money to just buy an arp clone I would. But even the Behringer arp clone is out of my price range.

Internal wiring is something I never considered, but at the same time I do enjoy the idea of being able to plug in what ever where ever.

1 Like

welcome to the rabbit hole . read , ask questions , read some more figure out what you want your synth to do then plan out what you need so you will know what to build first . search the titles on the forum here there is a lot of good info there . www.eddybergman.com this is one to have on speed dial.
but be warned this hobby can be very addicting , at first a second job maybe not eating will cover it but before you know it your selling plasma , extra organs …

2 Likes

Wurlitzers, Rhodes, Hammonds, Viscounts… :joy:

2 Likes

Re cost savings, here’s NCS on that topic:

The bottom line is that it just doesn’t make sense to turn to DIY construction solely as a way to save money. It’ll cost so much in both time and money that you won’t really save. Nonetheless, DIY construction may make sense if you have other reasons to do it beyond saving money. For instance, if you already have an electronics workshop as a result of some other activity (like ham radio, say), it brings down the cost of applying that to synth building also. And maybe electronic construction is your real hobby, a goal in itself, and it’s to do that that you got into modular synthesis in the first place instead of the other way around. That’s a big part of my own story, and in such a case, saving money is beside the point.

Also, mandatory Wondermark:

http://wondermark.com/734/

4 Likes

Start at the start.

Build the Simple AS3340 VCO as simply as you can. and evaluate it.

The chip can be re-used on another strip-board or the existing circuit built upon.

If it does not work out you have lost very little.
After building sams 1222 I took the simple schematic, learned Kicad and had 5 Simple VCO PCB’s made up for ~£12… I use one as a simple utility module for testing.

I then took the 1222 Schematic and modified that a little and had PCB’s done for that.

3 Likes