First pcb prototype attempt

1. I think it’s mostly cost neutral (they charge more for multiple designs in a single PCB), but it doesn’t really matter, so you can just play around a bit in the ordering tool. Separate PCBs tend to look slightly better.
  2. 1 mm is good for a couple of amperes, so more than enough. You have plenty of space, though, so no need to change anything here.
  3. See below.

Here’s some random comments/tips/nits/opinions, off the top of my head. Feel free to ignore some or all of them; it’s your PCB after all :smiley:

• Double-check hole sizes, footprints, and that nets makes sense (not sure what tool you’re using, but many tools show you the net name for each hole if you zoom in enough).
  • What’s up with all the electrolytics? I’d expect one 10 µF or so per rail close to the power connector, but what are the other two?
  • The ceramics placement also looks a bit arbitrary – decoupling capacitors should be placed close to the chips’ power pins (“as close as possible” but you don’t have to overdo it).
  • On the other hand, if any of these are part of a signal path, consider using the footprint for a polyester capacitor; you can still use a ceramic when building, but if you decide to go fancy, putting a narrow component in a slightly wider footprint is easier than the other way around.
  • Consider spelling out what the trimmers/connectors are for in the silkscreen, so you don’t have to remember what’s what when trimming/hooking things up.
  • Clearly mark the + and − sides of the power connector in the silkscreen, to make sure there’s no chance for confusion when building and plugging things in.
  • Consider using component values in the silkscreen instead of component numbers, to save time when building. That’s very much a personal preference, though, so feel free to ignore this.
  • If using component numbers, consider keeping them outside the footprint, so you can still read them once built.
  • Are the missing mounting holes in the component PCB a rendering issue, or are they actually missing?

That said, my #1 advice for PCB design is to keep in mind that there will be some silly mistake in this one. Or if not, in your next one :grinning:

7 Likes