Designing and Manufacturing Components

Left field idea here, but does anybody know anything about designing components?

I want a through hole component for 1/4" jacks. How does a component get standardized and manufactured? Is this an attainable goal for a normal human, or does it have to go through some kind of standards body, etc…

3 Likes

You just need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2 Likes

Well, start by designing a CAD model - it’s up to you whether that model conforms to certain standards. Then depending on what part it is you have to set up QA, compliance testing, bulk manufacturing, documentation, packaging, shipping…

A lot of time, effort, and money for a relatively tiny amount of gain. For the amount of money you’d put into it, I would go and buy a 400 module Eurorack setup :slightly_smiling_face:

Was it @popflier that had a load of pots manufactured?

2 Likes

Yes I think it was @popflier , but for what I remember they were just manufactured exactly as that company manufacture them usually.
But let him explain it…

3 Likes

Yes, SHE will explain it :wink:

I did have pots manufactured by a company in China. While I did have them manufactured based on products that they already offer, they were willing to do some minor modifications. They could manufacture them with/without tabs or make them in different values than what they listed as available on their site. Beyond that I think that I could approach them with a design and they could probably manufacture it, provided that what I was asking them to manufacture was similar to something they already make. It’s likely that they would require a significant sized order though of the final product (1000+ units) in order to make it profitable and worthwhile for them.

On that note, I stil have like 200 pots left of both B100k and B10k to get rid of so please someone order some!! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Hu ho… didn’t know… sorry.

3 Likes

I think your big enemy for a completely custom part will be the set-up costs. For example, you probably want to give the jack socket some sort of plastic body. Those will need to be injection-molded, which requires machining of a mold. Such mold can run you $10k+ easily.

Maybe a more viable option would be adapting an existing part. Maybe you could rip the metal parts out of an existing socket, and combine them with a 3D-printed body?

[edit] now I’m thinking, the type of jack sockets commonly used in guitars is that shallow. Maybe you could start from those.

3 Likes

@eric No problem :slight_smile: I am just giving you a hard time :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t advertise my gender due to stereotypes and no, I’m not blonde. Though some of my questions may sometimes appear to be reflective of those stereotypes. Ha ha… :laughing:

2 Likes

You could probably get away using something like this, if you design a proper pcb footprint

5 Likes